Tuesday May 12th, 2020
Following the Victorian State Government’s planned lifting of COVID-19 restrictions yesterday (Monday May 11) and after further discussion with Sport and Recreation Victoria, Vic Sport and Bowls Australia, the below information from Bowls Victoria lists the measures to ensure that we can return to the sport that we all enjoy playing from Tuesday May 12 at 11:59pm to Sunday May 31 (pending further announcements from the State Government).
The sole priority at this point in time is safe social opportunities to play Bowls. We want Bowlers start to socially connect with others in small groups, practicing the sport that we all enjoy.
Bowls Victoria will continue to liaise with the Victorian State Government, VicSport and Bowls Australia to provide specific advice for Bowlers for the month of June.
This advice is general in nature and the COVID-19 situation is forever changing. Please keep an eye out on bowlsvic.org.au and our Bowls Victoria Facebook page for any further updates in regard to Bowls restrictions.
As between the period of Wednesday May 13 and Sunday May 31, the following must be adhered to for all Bowls Victoria Affiliated Clubs.
- Should advise their members whether their Bowling Green is open or closed after Wednesday May 13.
- Bowlers must contact their club to check whether they are open, available (within visitor number limits), and ready for a roll.
- Clubs should also check with their local council that that they have permission to re-open their club.
- Clubs should have all appropriate signage to advise members on the requirements of play.
- Clubs should be open to members only.
- NSW clubs should also consider and abide by their State Government legislation.
- Clubs are permitted to have 10 people maximum per green (including a coach).
- Rinks must be positioned a minimum of 1.5 metres apart at all times.
- Maximum of 4 Bowlers per rink at any one time. Bowlers should practice social distancing (1.5 meters apart) at all times.
General Around-the-Green Hygiene:
- Please refrain from shaking hands, high-fives or any contact with others and keep 1.5 meters apart.
- Please refrain from handling other people’s bowls.
- Please keep your hands clean by having sanitizer readily available at the club.
- Wash your hands before and after play.
- If you’re feeling unwell then you should not attend the club under any circumstances.
- All mats and jacks must be thoroughly cleaned before being used.
- Please refrain from picking up Jacks and instead (where possible) kick jacks with your feet.
- Please refrain from multiple people handling mats.
- Clubs may use toilets at their facility.
- Club houses, bars, eating areas, indoor sitting areas, showers and change rooms must remain closed.
- Bars and restaurants attached to a Bowling Club that are already offering takeaway or delivery services can continue. No sit-down meals or drinks are permitted.
- Practice must be limited to 10 people per green.
- Members in a high-risk category should strongly consider whether they should or should not be playing as per their own circumstances and/or medical advice.
- Clubs should be aware that Bowls are limited to practice at this stage and no organised competition Bowls are permitted (For instance; this is not the period of time where your club should be scheduling a club pairs match).
- Clubs must keep a list of who attends the venue/club and at what time (arrival and departure times) to assist with contact tracing if required.
- No spectators are permitted to watch anyone practice (unless they are driving a bowler to and from their practice session), clubs should remain a spectator free environment until Bowls Victoria advises otherwise.
Until the Victorian Government releases a further update (estimated to be in early June 2020), these measures are for the foreseeable future, to keep Victorian Bowlers safe.
Bowls Victoria are committed to providing safe environments to play our remaining State Championship events and remaining Metropolitan Pennant matches. More information will be released upon these two respective competitions in June pending further government advice.
Club Poster – COVID-19 Guidelines for Participants
Click here to download for Desktop Printers.
Print ready poster for Professional Printers.